WHY LEARN LANGUAGES?
Here are some ideas from university and Year 12/13 students:
- It’s fun
- you find out about other people and cultures
- knowing a language makes you more employable
- they lead you into other subjects
- you make new friends
- you learn about yourself and your own country
- it gives you more confidence
- great for holidays!
- gives you communication skills…
Still need convincing?
What the Y10/11 students say:
- Learning one language makes it easier for you to learn another
- if you go to another country and you need help, you can ask.
- it makes you much more open-minded to people and their culture
EMPLOYABILITY: give yourself THE EDGE
This is what top employers say they are looking for in a new employee:
- Social skills
- ability to work in a team
- communication skills
- problem solving skills
- cultural awareness
- ability to network in the local language
Learning a language makes you stand out from the crowd, and provides a pathway into many and varied fields of employment, including:
- Banking & finance
- Business Services
- Civil Service
- Event Management
- Financial Services
- MI5 / CID
- Public Services
- Travel & Tourism
Lower School – Year 7/8
All students follow either French or German in Year 7, 8 and 9.
In Year 8, students have the opportunity to become a dual linguist, and opt to study a second language from the beginning of Year 9. This could be either French or German (depending on what they are already studying).
Students must do at least one Language to GCSE, either French or German. They can opt to study two or even three langauges at GCSE level.
A Level Languages
AQA A Level French- Click Here
AQA A Level German- Click Here