Skip to content ↓

Sixth Formers Battle it Out in the Daily Mail Cup

Ashley gives us the lowdown on the latest Sixth Form rugby competition...

The Priory’s Sixth Form rugby team’s magnificent run in the ‘Daily Mail Cup’ finally came to an end after they were defeated 31-16 by a strong Lincoln Minster side.

Prior to the game, there was some profound confidence in the Priory camp after a good run of recent performances. A 22-12 over Carton Le Willows in the last round had given the team some real belief they could push on and progress further in the competition.

Mr Brazinkas had stated in the pre-match team talk that he would like a Priory win for ‘numerous’ reasons, and so, under the leadership of Centre Callum Weir, that’s what they set out to do.

A fantastic start had culminated in a lot of early pressure being applied on the Minster back line. Priory’s front row were particularly effective with their rucking and tackling, gaining a lot of territory in the process.

The early pressure finally paid dividend when a Minster player was adjudicated to have fouled, enabling Josh Smith to coolly convert the penalty and send Priory into a 3-0 lead.

However, conceding seemed to wake Minster up and they started featuring more heavily with possession; however, they could not find a way past the rock solid Priory wall. In fact, they would have been ahead had Jake Mitchinson not risked life and limb to prevent The Minster player from going over.

However, moments later and the Priory resistance was broken. Some neat passing play presented the Minster player with the space and time to get the try, which was converted to send them into a 7-3 lead.

Minutes later, and the Minster lead was extended. Despite several tackles from the Priory defence, Minster managed to bundle their way through to extend their lead.

Nevertheless, Priory did not give up and some dogged determination from Ryan Macmillan was rewarded with a try to reduce the arrears just before half time.

In the second half the Priory boys came out fighting, yet were undone by two quick breaks. This did not deter the effort of the team in purple and hope of a comeback was restored after a Callum Weir try and another penalty from Josh.

In the final ten, the game was neck and neck but it was Minster who clinched it with one final try.

Captain Callum Weir explained that he ‘was immensely proud of the team's effort’.

Stand in Coach Mr Whittaker was thrilled by the ‘passion displayed by the lads’ and stated it had been ‘a pleasure to watch’.

They may be out but definitely not down and The Priory team will surely come back fighting for some friendlies in the New Year.

Ashley Franklin, Year 13